US Navy

2.5 The People You Work With
2.4 Female Representation in Top Leadership
2.0 Flexible Work Hours
1.5 Ability to Telecommute

Comments

The Culture isn't the most positive and certainly not the most female friendly.

The United States Navy, while having many programs for equal opportunity, does not support women very well. When it comes down to women's issues, having women in high positions, or having a woman as a leader, the Navy is severely lacking. I wouldn't recommend any female or minority being a part of this group.

I would not recommend any women or minorities work for this despicable organization.

The Navy has always been geared toward males. It is getting better with accommodating females, but I have found that usually it is assumed that females and males need the same things. It is seen as inconvenient if a female needs programs or time off for reasons that are different than what a male would need. We do have paid maternity leave, but the males that have to cover your time often vocalize the inconvenience you have put on them by giving them extra work... AFTER YOU HAVE DELIVERED A BABY! Females are, in my experience, treated much differently than males but expected to have the same needs and aptitudes. Overall, I would not call the US Navy a "female friendly" environment.

First, I can't select one star.

Second, the US Naval Nuclear program is the most hostile women's work environment in existence. The young, junior​ sailors cannot defend themselves in any way other than to get pregnant, from regular mental, verbal and sometimes physical abuse.

I was in this program and I saw <10% of women become fully qualified and complete their contact as intended. I had the people accountable for training me tell me that all women got pregnant, so I wasn't worth​ their time... Unless, of course, if every woman hats pregnant, then a lot of men were getting laid, so if I wanted to become qualified, I would have to fix that. I had people organise against me so there was no way I could become qualified without supporting violence or paying in terms of sex.... And the fall out from that was that I spent entire deployments being unable to leave the ship. (I could leave for 1-2 hours a port call, only if I could convince one of them to escort me.).
This kind of situation happens for many, many women, over and over. Thank you for doing your survey. I don't think this is what you were looking for, but I'll keep sending it out, hoping someone finds a way to help the next generation.

Work in HR or Recruiting for US Navy?