US Navy

Female Representation in Top Leadership
2.4
1.9
1.5

Comments

If you want to be harassed after seeking help for sexual assault, bullied for starting a family, and harassed while trying to pump milk for your new baby, join the navy. I had several female superiors walk into the lactation room while I was pumping just to make me uncomfortable. Sexual assaults are poorly handled and often end up with the victim getting PTSD from being hazed by their commands for reporting it, not the assault itself. They try to make the victim look crazy so it doesn't reflect on their leadership.

The military has come a long way but still has far to go concerning inclusivity. So far in my experience, the community is still extremely hyper-masculine which consistently hinders a lot of progressive efforts. Aside from this, the constant far right rhetoric is annoying to say the least. But things are changing. Slowly. Hopefully, one day soon, the old way of regarding those who aren't straight, white and male will permanently die. Hopefully.

The Navy has a policy that says female reproduction is a right and it should be respected. However it is treated like treason in the military to become pregnant or desire to have children or to have children with needs (like attention, sickness, and supervision). I personally observed pregnant women being punished cruely through confinement to ship environment. During their inappropriate punishment they were exposed to lead paint removal, welding, excessive heat, meal rashioning, and unnecessary stress, all of this in the woman's first trimester. In addition there is very little investigation into these things because they are being "supervised" by a "ship doctor" who may or may not have went to college or even finished high school. The worst part is the Stockholm syndrome that happens. I watched this young woman and many others face the shame, outcasting, and automatic detriment of their once promising careers, and I thought they deserved it and they thought they deserved it too. The Navy loves women, it makes them look good to do so, as long as you are infertile. I would also like to point out as well the growing number of female infertility problems with current and former service members across all military branches.

The official policies of the Navy are not respected on the ground level. Men feel free to openly denigrate women and their work ability. Several times, I was directly told that women have ruined the Navy. Senior level people felt free to use the terms "bitch," "cunt," and "pussy" with little to no recourse. Men felt very comfortable talking about women's bodies, sexual behavior and their level of "asking for" sexual harassment and assault during trainings on the topics but victims of sexual
harrasment and assault were often told that this was not the time or place to discuss their stories, instead to be quiet as the "training" continued. Women who advanced (are promoted through a point system involving a standardized test, work evaluations, education level, and awards) were often accused of engaging in sexual conduct with superiors if they advanced before men in the group, even when they clearly outperformed them. Many women have become successful in this environment; I can only chalk it up to a special kind of fortitude.

It all right if you like having every aspect of your life controlled.

Work in HR or Recruiting for US Navy?