Get Matched

2.4 The People You Work With
2.3 Female Representation in Top Leadership
2.1 Flexible Work Hours
1.6 Ability to Telecommute

Comments

As women we are told that there are many channels for us to report inappropriate behaviors from our co-workers and there will be zero reprisal. The channels do exist. The reprisal though? You're immediately labeled as a sensitive no fun can't take a joke prude. And it follows you. That label follows you to every new assignment as long as people keep talking. The healthcare provided for women (especially at sea) is deplorable and leaves women questioning and unhealthy.

😊

I was at a sea command recently suffering from mental health issues and was actually placed in a limited duty status and was put through a medical board. I did not leave the command until near the end of my six month limited duty period, when I should have been gone within 30 days of being placed on limited duty. The whole time, I had to fight the chain of command (all male with dependent wives who didn't work and no children) because they were not listening to what I had to say. I have a toddler of my own and the command's psychiatrist (who was not my primary mental health provider) kept discounting everything my primary psychiatrist had diagnosed and the treatment he had prescribed. He denied the fact that I had been diagnosed with anxiety and depression and said I just had a "bad case of the burn outs" and essentially chalked it up to the stresses of being a "new mom" (even though my son was already two years old). They were not understanding and would often gave me a hard time when I would have to take my son to a doctor's appointment because he'd had a fever for three days. My husband is also active duty and not in a position where he can just leave work at the drop of a hat and often times he works nights. I was evaluated by four DOD psychiatrists and psychologists and a VA provider in a two year period and they had all come to the same diagnoses independently of each other: depression and anxiety. Except the command's psychiatrist who belittled everything I expressed I was feeling and essentially told me it could be worse.

Bring a woman in the military is incredibly hard.

Actually a pretty good place to be a professional woman. Hopefully time will lead to more senior women...

Work in HR or Recruiting for US Navy?