US Navy

2.5 Sponsorship or Mentorship Program
2.3 Female Representation in Top Leadership
1.9 Flexible Work Hours
1.5 Ability to Telecommute

Comments

The Navy has a policy that says female reproduction is a right and it should be respected. However it is treated like treason in the military to become pregnant or desire to have children or to have children with needs (like attention, sickness, and supervision). I personally observed pregnant women being punished cruely through confinement to ship environment. During their inappropriate punishment they were exposed to lead paint removal, welding, excessive heat, meal rashioning, and unnecessary stress, all of this in the woman's first trimester. In addition there is very little investigation into these things because they are being "supervised" by a "ship doctor" who may or may not have went to college or even finished high school. The worst part is the Stockholm syndrome that happens. I watched this young woman and many others face the shame, outcasting, and automatic detriment of their once promising careers, and I thought they deserved it and they thought they deserved it too. The Navy loves women, it makes them look good to do so, as long as you are infertile. I would also like to point out as well the growing number of female infertility problems with current and former service members across all military branches.

It all right if you like having every aspect of your life controlled.

While a woman can now get nearly any job in the Navy, there's still a clear line between certain things. Some are biased towards women (favoritism especially from male co-workers) and others are geared more for men. It's been typical for me to show up and I'm immediately given a paperwork role in the shop. I can't make rank without actually working on things, physically seeing them and figuring out how they work. It's tough sometimes, but you just have to prove yourself and push harder to be recognized than your male counterparts do.

The Culture isn't the most positive and certainly not the most female friendly.

The United States Navy, while having many programs for equal opportunity, does not support women very well. When it comes down to women's issues, having women in high positions, or having a woman as a leader, the Navy is severely lacking. I wouldn't recommend any female or minority being a part of this group.

Work in HR or Recruiting for US Navy?