US Department of State

2.1 Family Growth Support
2.1 Ability to Telecommute
2.0 Company Responsiveness
1.7 Maternity and Adoptive Leave

Comments

Lack of parental leave is the main issue

Is it perfect here for women? No. But it is not terrible, and enorous improvement has occurred over the past 30 years. Outside of certain male-dominated bureaus/work spaces - I'm looking at you, Diplomatic Security, and you, too, Information Technology specialists - there are fairly equal opportunities for women. Women in the past few years have felt more empowered to ask for opportunities, and to call out unequal treatment where it exists. There are many strong female role models and mentors. The Federal government as a whole needs to implement paid parental leave, but the regular USG vacation and sick leave provisions are generous. Telework is supported up to a point; I have been teleworking one day a week for ten years. There are some job-shares, and efforts are underway to make job-share partners easier to find.

Most of the federal government is stuck in the Stone Age when it comes to even knowing the proven approaches to combatting discrimination against women, and the State Department is no exception. You can do very meaningful work here, but be prepared to fight much harder than your male colleagues for promotion.

Women seem to rise quickly and obtain positions of influence within the Department, but there is definitely a bit of a boys club feel to some Bureaus. Family leave time is consistent with the rest of the USG, but not at all what it should be. If you've got sick leave you can use it to adopt/ give birth but there is no special leave for new parents. Single parents can have it rough, but the lower costs of childcare overseas make up for it a bit. In general I would say DoS is female/family friendly.

The State Department is an incredible institution, but it is a slow-moving, risk-averse giant, still stuck somewhere in the early 80s. The gender disparity is real. Be it DS, political, economic, or any other cone, I count the number of times men have made simply unacceptable comments. Joking about rape with impunity, bullying female officers, deriding single fathers for taking paternity leave. We are still an organization stuck with men of a certain age who fulfilled the most traditional gender roles and struggle to understand any deviations. Their mentality bleeds into leadership decisions, into staff comportment, into implementation (or lack thereof) of equal employment opportunities. As a feminist, as a working professional, as an American charged with representing our values abroad, this organizational culture within our diplomatic agency is an incredible disappointment.

Work in HR or Recruiting for US Department of State?