Trader Joe's

2.5
2.5
2.1
1.6

Comments

Working at Trader Joe’s has been, truly, one of the worst experiences of my life. I absolutely don’t think that my experience is common across the board for the company, but my experience was absolutely traumatic. About a month in after being hired, one of the mates (assistant managers) took an interest in me. He completely breached boundaries, wouldn’t listen after I told him to leave me alone many times, became obsessive, and eventually ended up threatening my job. I went to management with a folder full of evidence. They fired him, however, this manager then threw himself a going away party, invited everyone from every store in the region, and took that opportunity to slander me, lie, and say that I had lied. It made my life a living hell. Not only was this “mate” the son of a very prominent Captain in the company, his brother was also fired a year earlier for sexual harassment as well.
This mate also had full knowledge that I have severe ptsd prior, and used that to his advantage.
Management did nothing about the lies, the harassment from fellow employees, the gossip, the shunning. It made my life a living hell.
I finally was able to transfer to a different store after begging management for months.
It made my situation only slightly better, as my current coworkers are the cousins and siblings of workers at the previous store, and a year later the gossip has not stopped. I keep my head down and try to ignore it.

This situation has taught me to NEVER trust anyone at this company ever again. It is rife with nepotism, a complete lack of training, ignorance, sexism, and cruelty. When I told my previous captain about my diagnosis of ptsd (a diagnosis that I’ve had for 3+ years), his response was, “well what the hell is wrong with you? Can’t you fix it? Do you see anyone or take pills for it?”

This company and its way of handling it’s privileged, babied and predatory managers almost ruined my life.

Go to hell, Trader Joe’s.

Great company to work for! Culture is fun, management is caring and devoted to employees, food & kitchen perks. Not many women in key management positions.

Within stores women are offered the same benefits and advances as men. Senior leadership is completely devoid of women.

I have worked for the company for ten years. It has been a wonderful company to work for.

I was told I was promoted at Trader Joe’s by fellow management because I was cheap labor and because they just needed women on the management team to look fair. I was afraid to bring anything up to my Captain because whenever drama was happening, he’d usually just fire, demote or transfer both parties. A really decent place for employees... not a happy place for women in management.

Work in HR or Recruiting for Trader Joe's?