Trader Joe's

2.5
2.4
2.0
1.6

Comments

I was told I was promoted at Trader Joe’s by fellow management because I was cheap labor and because they just needed women on the management team to look fair. I was afraid to bring anything up to my Captain because whenever drama was happening, he’d usually just fire, demote or transfer both parties. A really decent place for employees... not a happy place for women in management.

During my time with the company, I made management aware (on several occasions) of a particular man who would enter the store regularly (rarely buying anything) and behave and speak to me in a very suggestive manner. He would also hang around outside, after hours. I made it clear this man made me feel threatened and unsafe every time he was there. My managers response was not to confront the man, but to tell me to “go and hide in the back” whenever I saw him. This went on for at least 3 of the 6 years I worked with the company. Several of my female colleagues had similar stories. In my time there, I was never once given the impression that the company truly valued employee safety and well-being. At Trader Joe’s the customer ALWAYS comes first, even if it is to the detriment of it’s own employees.

While the ability of women to do the work done by employees of Trader Joe’s at all levels doesn’t really come into question, the minute a woman wants to start a family or has any issue associated with family, equity goes out the window.

Very much a corporate boys club. Sexual harassment happens everyday and perpetrators are either covered for or simply moved to another location while whistle blowers are retaliated against and often bullied into leaving the company or silenced. I worked at this company and in particular the Encinitas store for a decade and was punished for reporting harassment and then denied pay raises as a result of speaking up. This company has recently hired Disney consultants that are notorious for making sure to pay employees as little as possible while taking away much of the benefits the company has offered since it conception. I am so sad to say that Trader Joe’s has fallen so far from the neighborhood grocer it once was.

Great pay, great coworkers (honestly they've become family), great products, great prices, and fabulous customer service...what more could you ask for?

Work in HR or Recruiting for Trader Joe's?