Northrop Grumman

Employer Responsiveness
2.7
2.7
2.4

Comments

Minimal effort to pursue sexual harassment complaints. HR's investigators are there to protect the company, not the individuals. Retribution is rife and HR does nothing to punish it or punish the managers who tolerate it and cover it up - or in many cases, who are the source of it. They tell you to get in the practice of keeping journals, but contemporaneous entries of incidents 'have no evidentiary validity' in their view. Even email documentation is often ignored or explained away. A witness to an incident is almost useless as they then demand a second witness. If anything is ever done, it is only a reprimand, leaving the victim still subject to the power of a now-angry and vengeful manager. And since these reprimands are confidential, other workers are never made aware of them and have the impression nothing is done in these cases, which encourages further harassment by other workers.

For having so many females in key positions, the company simple isn't taking this seriously.

It can be hard to get lactating rooms.
Telecommuting might. It be possible depending on if you work on something where security concerns don’t allow it.
The company doesn’t have its own daycare.
Very little representation of women in executive leadership.
Still lots of gender bias in the culture.
Company wants to change for the better, so that’s a good sign. Lots of programs to help grow female high potentials into leaders.

Experiences here largely depend on which project you're on, but the defense industry remains largely a boys club. Even on a project that stressed the importance of teamwork and open doors, female engineers seemed to be passed over when it came to employee review time.

Women are offered little opportunity beyond basic management levels. I have seen them actively bullied by make counterparts and when this was brought up in hr they went after the bullied women instead of the men doing the billing

I was the only female electrician on the crew. I hired in the same day as two employees, and within weeks of the others. I was the lowest paid on the crew by a dollar. They gave everyone on the crew merit raises. I found out after the fact. I had to demand mine after constantly being told how great my work was and how much of an impact I made on the job. They constantly put me on menial tasks and loaned me out to other crews when it was supposed to be a cycle. They had me sanding floorboards for almost a year instead of doing what I was hired to do. I'm prior military. I take my job and skills very seriously. I applied for another program and was told by that hiring manager they were looking forward to having me. The day of the interview they canceled it, and told me there was an unspoken rule that programs couldn't hire employees from my program. I would have to quit the company completely and lose all my benefits and forfeit the company contributions to my retirement and apply again. They trapped me on the program with no room for growth. I was constantly being belittled and sexually harassed. My first day on the job I went to check my tools out, the man asked me what my job was, told him, and his response was, "We don't HAVE female electricians."......."Well, I'm a female, and I'm an electrician.".... "Who do you know that works here?" I was baffled. I told him, "I don't know anyone who works for this company. I'm not related to anyone. I'm not even from this state. I was hired based on my military experience and my training and knowledge of the job." He skoffed at me. When I started there, I had a six month old baby, and was breastfeeding. They didn't provide a breastfeeding station. They had me go into a shower stall in the locker room where women kept their hazardous clothes from working with materials on the plane. They gave me grief for requesting a private, sanitary room to pump my breast milk, and told me to go all the way out of the program area wasn't an option. After the fact I was told women who breastfed weren't even supposed to work in the hangar. They basically put my son's health at risk.

The Value of Performance

Northrop Grumman is a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions in autonomous systems, cyber, C4ISR, strike, and logistics and modernization to customers worldwide.

At Northrop Grumman, our work with cutting-edge technology is driven by something human: the lives our technology helps protect.

Here you’ll have the opportunity to connect with coworkers in an environment that’s uniquely caring, diverse, respectful, and collaborative.

Wherever you work in the company and whatever your role, we’re united by our mission to help protect the world we live in.

Let’s do the work that matters – together.

Mission: Our vision is to be the most trusted provider of systems and technologies that ensure the security and freedom of our nation and its allies. As the technology leader, we will define the future of defense - from undersea to outer space, and in cyberspace.

Career opportunities: http://www.northropgrumman.com/Careers/Pages/default.aspx

Recent Awards

Catalyst Award for groundbreaking corporate initiatives that are advancing women in business, 2018

Perfect score of 100 percent on the 2018 Corporate Equality Index, Human Rights Campaign Foundation, 2017

Best of the Best - Top Veteran-Friendly Companies, U.S. Veterans Magazine, 2017

Top 50 Companies for Diversity - Number 29 overall, based on objective analysis of 183 separate factors, using data from a 300-question survey, Diversity Inc., 2017

Sustainability Leader, Dow Jones Sustainability Index, 2017

100 Best Corporate Citizens - Number 55, based on companies delivering on their commitments to transparency and accountability, Corporate Responsibility Magazine, 2016

Women at Northrop Grumman