Nordstrom

2.7 Sponsorship or Mentorship Program
2.5 Wellness Initiatives
2.3 Social Activities and Environment
1.9 Ability to Telecommute

Comments

Fun but hard to work in a commission only environment when retail is slowing down

Worst paying job I have ever had as an adult. Opportunities for growth seem to be consistently stalled, lots of pressure from management to increase sales but not a lot of constructive encouragement or follow through.

After I was promoted to customer service manager, a salaried position, I reached the glass ceiling despite Nordstrom's promotion of a culture that promotes from within and coaching your subordinates to take your job so that everyone is always ascending the corporate ladder. At this point my male superior told me his job was to difficult for me to understand when I asked him for generic details of the skills he employed on a daily basis so I could understand his position and responsibilities. I was also tasked with micro-managing my employees such that I was having coaching conversations regarding abstract numbers that did not speak to the quality of my employees work. I was also tasked with policing the clothing worn by women and expected to send a woman home for the day because her bra was visible beneath her shirt. Experiences such as these made employees consistently anxious regarding their job performance and job security, all under the guise of empowering employees. Also they policing of women's wardrobes further promoted the sexualization of their bodies. Working in management was not as bad as working as a customer service representative but the gender discrimination was more obvious from the position of a manager. Also, call center workers are predominantly female and are paid less than fulfillment center employees who are predominantly men. These jobs, while different, are variously but equally demanding and deserve pay that reflects this.

Nordstrom was a great experience. I enjoyed doing visuals there. The culture there needs to be addressed more and often. Upper management should be better at managing.

Not single mom friendly! Worked very hard for my position, but couldn't get the 2 days i needed to open, okayed by store manager. Was my job or my kids. I went to her office in tears, no respect, was told everyone had their own story. Stepped down choose my kids, barely survived. 8 years at the company, no sympathy.

Work in HR or Recruiting for Nordstrom?