Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

3.5 | Cambridge, MA | Higher Education | 5001 to 10000 Employees

Company scores for Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) are based on 462 ratings from 32 employees

Comments

We encourage women to leave anonymous comments about their experience at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). First-hand reviews can give you an idea of individual experiences.

I enjoyed working at MIT at first. As composed to some of the other universities in the area, they are more relaxed, with a 9-5 schedule. However, I soon began to feel as if I had been dragged into an episode of Mad Men. Even the female faculty face discrimination but it is much worse for the female staff. It was only in the 90s they were forces to change there “secretaries” to “administrative assistants” which they use as a catch all for these positions, predominantly held by women, whether they fill the role of a traditional admin assistant or they have years of experience writing grants, manage multiple large events each year, or provide any other skills that would be considered different positions with salaries to match at most other places. Many times the person who knows less about the research administration part of the job can end up with a much lower salary than someone who simply does not do that as part of their job. There is also no room to advance. It is depressing because even if you do like the environment you are in, unless you want to hold yourself back, you have to always be ready to move to the next thing so, even despite your skills, you don’t start getting looked at as a secretary outside the institute as well.

I work in the Division of Student Life. Not sure about other departments, labs, centers.

Academia is still largely an old boy's club, and I get this. But male coworkers routinely harassed women (lewd comments, name calling, inappropriate comments about female undergraduates working with the research team) happened much more often, and with essentially zero repercussions, than where I currently work- also an academic institution in the same field. My boss literally told female researchers they could be a "bitch or a pushover", with no in between. A male coworker/graduate student harassed several women at a departmental function, then screamed drunkenly at and threatened a woman training him later in the year, and was not reprimanded. He was only removed from the program when he tried to assault someone. And he has the opportunity to COME BACK. Not a female friendly program or department (this is all in the bio department).

MIT is a wonderful employer. They care about their employees, and while not perfect, strive to be a better environment. Very pleased with the organization.

In some ways MIT is one of the least "genderist" places I have ever worked. As a director, I am constantly evaluated by my boss and my technical team for the quality of my ideas, good or bad, and ability to execute -- yet rarely if ever do I feel judged for my gender; I never realized before my present group just how truly freeing and valuable this really was. I am also enthusiastic by the gender ratios hit among students overall. However, when I look around at the structure and relationships around and past my individual group, I see a huge disparity in the number of male PIs vs female support staff, or males in senior administration roles vs women specifically directing, say HR or development; this may be meant to counterbalance certain historical gender ratios, but there may still be some 'devil' in the details of how the power dynamics play out or cluster. I also can't help but wonder if MIT's healthcare coverage systems, and doctors especially in the traditional plans, could be more friendly, thorough, and flexible for women and family needs.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Page Has Not Been Claimed

Work in HR or Recruiting for Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)?

Know someone in HR or Recruiting at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) who we should speak to about claiming their page? Let us know! It's anonymous, of course.

Jobs at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has no jobs listed at this time.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is a higher education company headquartered in the Cambridge, MA area that employs 5001 to 10000 people. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has a 3.5-star InHerSight Score, based on 462 ratings from 32 current or former employees. 10 employees left comments about their experience working for the company. InHerSight collects anonymous employer ratings and reviews from women for companies like Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and shares that information publicly to empower working women to make better decisions about their careers and where they work.