IBM

Employer Responsiveness
2.8
2.8
2.5

Comments

The policies are pro-equality, the maternity and paternity support is above average, there are good initiatives around equal pay, mentoring, and women as management leaders. In a long career I didn't suffer any sexual harassment from other permanent employees. I am also fairly confident that if I had needed to discuss harassment with HR, it would have been handled sensitively and responsibly.

But unconscious bias is rampant and very difficult to discuss, the technical career paths have multiple glass ceilings, and while there is a peer mentoring programme, there was much less access to executive sponsors. The company does not collect statistics on ethnicity, disability, etc, my impression is the intersectional experience is probably worse. If you're in a consultancy role, there is limited support for harassment while travelling, from customers, or employees in other sectors of IBM.

There was constant discrimination in my office, even by women. Women would tell me that I was expected to work harder because I was a woman and that’s just “how the world works” nowadays. I had male counterparts who worked 1/3 the amount I did, yet they made 1/3 more than me. I had women in my office say that women coming forward about sexual assault with the #metoo movement were just doing it for attention. I had a woman tell me I was grumpy, men would only want me in my early-to-mid twenties, and that my hard work meant nothing if my “personality sucks.” Whenever id reach out to HR, they weren’t interested - I once called HR to ask about a write-up I was given, to which she immediately said, “I thought we were done with this.” It’s like a dont-ask-don’t-tell business, but that attitude applies to sharing the discrepancies in equality and fair treatment.

A fantastic company. Well deserving of its global esteem. I had a positive experience.

I loved working at IBM. The people were great to work with. I had the ability to work from home if needed. They allowed me to make up hours if I missed due to personal appts.

Depends where you are in IBM and, frankly, on your boss. Some departments/ business groups offer amazing flexibility and advancement. In other areas there's no work-life balance. The company benefits as it relates to maternity leave are better than other companies, but not yet cream of the crop.

Work in HR or Recruiting for IBM?