American Airlines

2.3
2.1
1.9
1.8

Comments

Today I was turned down for a part time job with American Airlines because I am currently working on my MBA.

This would have been a 32 hour a week job at $12.50 an hour. This was well below what I deserve and wanted, but my filters must not have been on to screen things like that out on the day I applied at indeed.com.

So I applied online and was emailed a personality test. I was then emailed a list of 5 questions that they wanted me to answer using my computer or phone camera. They then scheduled a phone interview with me for this morning.

She called ten minutes late and asked me why I wanted to work for the company. She then told me about the pay, and while I am not ok with such low pay; I kept an open mind. Perhaps working with American Airlines at low pay would be ok if growth opportunities were presented to me.

She then asked me her third and final question in this 1 minute interview. She asked me if I had any other commitments. I am in a 2 year MBA program designed for middle aged adults who hold full time positions and have family. I take classes once or twice a week, depending upon the term. I live very close to the airport and the school, so juggling the two would have be easy. Apparently, American Airlines does not think so. As soon as I told her I am enrolled in classes, she told me that I am not eligible for hire. She told me to re-apply should the situation ever change.

There are 168 hours in a day and this part time position was for only 32 hours. It is sad to see that American Airlines discourages its employees from pursuing professional and personal growth. $400 a week is not worth the sacrifice of giving up a college program. I wish the employees the best in fighting to overturn such policies that demean rather than award professional and personal growth.

American Airlines does not take into account lack of pay while on maternity leave nor does it account for fathers whose partner have had a baby. There are no designated lactation rooms or rules for nursing mothers and co-workers look down on those nursing mothers who have returned to work.

Within flight service there is a severe LACK of assistance in getting suggestions and ideas up the chain anywhere past their direct supervisor, and that is IF the employee’s suggestion is taken seriously and acted upon.

We are represented by a union that is does well with contractual language and work rules written in black and white, however does not support membership in ways that are needed- especially with pregnant women, nursing mothers, fighting for longer maternity/paternity leave, and fighting for paid leave.

American Airlines as a company, from a current frontline employee standpoint, does not care about their employee morale, but rather the overall numbers of the operation. They need to understand that those numbers and customer satisfaction will not improve without employee morale improving across the board and in a big way.

American has made huge strides for women in the workplace!

It’s awful

For as many women that work for this company, you'd think they would have better resources and policies for pregnant women and post-maternity.

Work in HR or Recruiting for American Airlines?