Academy Sports + Outdoors

1.8
1.8
1.7
1.6

Comments

They officially say everyone is "equal", but women are treated second class. We were consistently treated like we were inadequate and talked down to (even yelled at) while I was working there. To the point that good employees quit because they knew they deserved better. The turn over rate is high due to low compensation rate and understaffing- leaving everyone overworked and under paid. This is a horrible place to work.

For a retail company, fantastic place to work. Almost all of the downsides are due to the type of work.

I worked for the company for ten years. Much of the culture change came from the transition from family owned business to something larger, but within my individual store, things got worse after the managerial staff became entirely populated by male managers. They promoted less experienced associates to positions of power, and would routinely make inappropriate comments that went against HR training. I enjoyed my time there when there were more women in charge, and feel like a better gender balance in management would have made the working environment less toxic during my last few years there.

Management is horrible. Completely toxic environment.

Most of management is understanding and very professional. I wish they would fire certain people, but they seem to just wait for people to quit on their own. Pay is awful, but that's to be expected of a part time minimum wage gig. It's a good place for those in school, they are very accommodating for school schedules.

Work in HR or Recruiting for Academy Sports + Outdoors?