Academy Sports + Outdoors

2.0 Wellness Initiatives
2.0 Family Growth Support
1.7 Sponsorship or Mentorship Program
1.6 Ability to Telecommute

Comments

I worked for the company for ten years. Much of the culture change came from the transition from family owned business to something larger, but within my individual store, things got worse after the managerial staff became entirely populated by male managers. They promoted less experienced associates to positions of power, and would routinely make inappropriate comments that went against HR training. I enjoyed my time there when there were more women in charge, and feel like a better gender balance in management would have made the working environment less toxic during my last few years there.

Management is horrible. Completely toxic environment.

Most of management is understanding and very professional. I wish they would fire certain people, but they seem to just wait for people to quit on their own. Pay is awful, but that's to be expected of a part time minimum wage gig. It's a good place for those in school, they are very accommodating for school schedules.

I opened this store, still have close friends in management, and can verify the sexual harassment claims started the first week and never let up. Corporate HR would fly out, not even speak to the parties reported, then leave. One senior mgr was on camera, grabbing a female on the rear, didn't get fired for 1 month, but then only because he addressed it in a morning meeting.

Great company to work for if you are attending college or if you are given a set schedule. I was there when they went from family owned to corporately owned there were a lot of negative changes. Most were just trying to protect themselves as a company, which is understandable. This is not a good place to work if you have an unpredictable home life as they work on a points system and if you are tardy or late there are points added up against you when you go to clock in.

Work in HR or Recruiting for Academy Sports + Outdoors?