3.3 | Cambridge, MA | Hospital & Health Care | 10000+ Employees

Posted a week ago on June 26, 2020

Senior Mechanical Design Engineer

Full-time in Bothell, WA
Philips is a hospital & health care company headquartered in the Cambridge, MA area with 10000+ employees. Philips has a 3.3-star InHerSight Score, based on 1,197 ratings from 83 employees. 23 employees have left comments about their experience working for the company on InHerSight.

Senior Mechanical Design Engineer

As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, you will be responsible for driving meaningful Ultrasound Platform innovation, identifying issues in early new product/feature development to improve quality and reduce cost, as well as troubleshooting existing Ultrasound Platforms after production launch.The Platform Mechanical Engineering (ME) team is part of the Ultrasound I2M (R&D) department and is responsible for the mechanical design and development of new Ultrasound Platforms as well as the support of existing Ultrasound Platforms. This position is based in Bothell, WA.

Key Responsibilities:

• Lead the mechanical development and release of new Ultrasound systems and product upgrades to improve overall long term system quality, reliability, yield rates, and cost effectiveness.
  • Work with a cross-functional team to ensure the mechanical designs meet the needs of the internal and external customers.
  • Use SolidWorks to create and modify mechanical architectures, 3D designs, and 2D drawings.
  • Support existing Ultrasound systems in production including root cause analysis of product issues found in manufacturing and early life customer systems, and implementing product design solutions to improve manufacturability and prevent recurrence of defects.
  • Provide technical support to the production team as required to meet production goals.
  • Drive continuous improvement projects related to design implementation, manufacturing process, product quality and reliability.

Job Requirements/Skills:

• Eager to learn and grow technical skills in an exceptional environment.
  • Strong communication and collaborative abilities,  proactively seeks out expertise and advice and input from others in a collaborative team-environment.
  • Demonstrated ability to effectively work with cross-functional stakeholders to ensure the design meets their expectations and needs, and that the needs/requirements are properly documented.
  • Self-motivated, able to carry out assignments with limited instruction, and efficiently plans, manages, and delivers development work for complex projects.
  • In-depth Mechanical Engineering design and analysis skills including demonstrated capability in thermal, structural, and tolerance analyses.
  • Capable of evaluating design margins, tolerances, and reliability factors including, wear, materials strength, chemical compatibility, and compounding environmental effects.
  • Experience working with suppliers and design partners, including part/module development and resolving technical issues.
  • Specific knowledge in part design for Plastics, Sheet Metal, and Die Casting.
  • Methodical, effective troubleshooting/problem solving skills.
  • Highly proficient in CAD, specific experience and proficiency in SolidWorks required.
  • Strong technical writing/ documentation skills for regulated medical device design environment, including requirements definition.
  • Knowledge of good design practices and experienced with DFMEA.
  • Experience with document control systems (E-Matrix, Agile) and FDA/ISO regulated medical device design environment.
  • BSME or MSME from an accredited university.
  • 5+ years of experience in an engineering environment required, preferably in medical device development.

US work authorization is a precondition of employment. The company will not consider candidates who require sponsorship for a work-authorized visa.

In return, we offer you

The Opportunity to sharpen your talents with new challenges in our dynamic organization. As a market-driven company, we are used to listening to our customers & apply the same thinking to our employees. We offer a competitive salary, outstanding benefits and flexibility in a career with a positive and supportive atmosphere in which to develop your talents further.

It is the policy of Philips to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without to age, color, citizenship, disability or perceived disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital or domestic partner status, military or veteran status, national origin, pregnancy/childbirth, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws.  Philips is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer Disability/Veteran.

#LI-PH1