Giving Assistant logo

4.8 | San Francisco, CA | Consumer Services | 11 to 50 Employees
Posted 2 months ago on May 11, 2020 This job is no longer available

Director Of Data

Full-time in San Francisco, CA
See at-a-glance how well companies like Giving Assistant support the things that are important to you.
4.3
5.0

Giving Assistant is a consumer services company headquartered in the San Francisco, CA area with 11 to 50 employees. Giving Assistant has a 4.8-star InHerSight Score, based on 48 ratings from a confidential number of current or former employees.

Reporting to VP of Engineering

Company Overview:

Giving Assistant is a fast growing, mission-driven, for-profit, Certified B Corporation. In just 5 years, we envision a shopping economy where giving back is easy, and every purchase makes a difference no matter where you shop. Consumers will expect and demand nothing less. The winning companies will not only offer great products, they will also invest in the social and environmental missions that matter most to their customers.

We believe shopping and giving go together. We know that consumers shop more when they support a cause they love. That's why we have committed our team, partnerships, and technology to transform the collective power of consumer shopping into a new sustainable source of giving.

Giving Assistant empowers brands to enhance the shopping experience with personalized giving as a way to help consumers create impact, with each purchase. To date, our platform has generated over $5 million in donations to tens of thousands of U.S. nonprofits.

Our Mission:

To transform the collective power of consumer shopping into a new sustainable source of giving.

Our Core Values:

• Work Smart, Live Well
  • Do More with Less
  • Be a Team Player
  • Uphold Integrity & Transparency
  • Inspire Giving
  • Own the Experience

Opportunity:

Be part of a new wave of change taking place across industries. With Web 1.0, online replaced offline businesses. In Web 2.0, niche-focused players took on the e-commerce giants. Giving Assistant is part of the next wave, a socially responsible wave, we call it, “conscious disruption."

Your role will be key in helping to create a cohesive and highly functioning team of data analysts.  You will work closely with the VP of Engineering as well as business stakeholders to help the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive critical business solutions.

Our business is growing rapidly and presents unique, evolving challenges. You should thrive in a fast paced environment and be enthusiastic to work in a team of mission-driven entrepreneurs, including a CEO with an exit.

Key Responsibilities:

• Work with key business stakeholders to develop and implement a strategy for managing the storage, movement and analysis of data within the organization.
  • Lead our data team by managing and inspiring team members, helping to set team goals and ensuring that the data team stays aligned with our company’s key objectives.
  • Assist with the recruiting process and on-boarding of a small team of data analysts.
  • Respond to requests for business data, models or analysis.
  • Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
  • Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets.
  • Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy.
  • Work with engineering team leadership to ensure our data policies and practices adhere to compliance regulations.

Requirements:

• Demonstrated excellence in Business Intelligence and Data Engineering.
  • Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
  • Ability to work with stakeholders to set expectations and work collaboratively at multiple levels of the organization to get things done.
  • Strong people management skills with 3-5 years of formal management experience.
  • Proven ability to manipulate data sets and build statistical models.
  • Strong problem solving skills with an emphasis on product development.
  • Solid experience with business development tools and reporting dashboards such as Looker, Amplitude, Keen, Tableau or Grow.com.
  • Advanced querying capabilities in both SQL and NoSQL database systems
  • Experience using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SQL, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets.
  • A solid understanding of data science and machine learning principles.

• B.S. or M.S. in Data Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematical Sciences, Statistics or related field of study.
  • Experience working in the e-commerce/affiliate industry.
  • Experience working with MySQL and MongoDB.
  • Experience with Agile methodologies & working with JIRA.
  • Working experience with classification models such as Artificial Neural Networks, Naive Bayes theorem or k-nearest-neighbor algorithm.
  • Working experience in creating predictions models and training classification models.
  • Familiarity with mean absolute error (MAE), root-mean squared error (RMSE), and correlation coefficients to evaluate the performance of a predictive model.

Compensation:

Giving Assistant has a competitive compensation plan that includes:

• A competitive annual salary that factors location in and experience
  • Stock options
  • Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
  • Unlimited Vacation
  • Paid parental leave
  • Stipend for continuing education

Perks:

• Have a measurable positive impact on society
  • Work with a team of passionate professionals (and a few dogs!) in a new, beautiful & environmentally friendly skyscraper.
  • Pre-tax commuter, dependant care, and health FSAs
  • Employer-sponsored 401K
  • Cashback donation matching
  • Quarterly company retreats and volunteer activities
  • Audible membership
  • Option to work from home Wednesdays and Fridays
  • Weekly company social

Giving Assistant believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. Giving Assistant provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. We strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented minorities in tech to apply.