Arabella Advisors logo

Full-time in
2 locations
  • Chicago, IL
  • Durham, NC
See at-a-glance how well companies like Arabella Advisors support the things that are important to you.
4.2

Arabella Advisors is a philanthropy company headquartered in the Washington, D.C. area with 201 to 500 employees. Arabella Advisors has a 3.4-star InHerSight Score, based on 174 ratings from 10 employees. Employees have left 2 comments about their experiences working for the company on InHerSight.

Arabella Advisors seeks an entrepreneurial, socially engaged professional to help our clients launch and manage innovative social sector projects. If you want the opportunity to work with a fast-growing and entrepreneurial team reshaping the charitable sector, then this job is for you. The Nonprofit Accountant – Client Service position will provide exceptional client service to internal stakeholders by applying financial best practices to a wide variety of client situations. You will advise on how to solve complex issues, review financial deliverables for accuracy, and identify process enhancements that will improve financial reporting for our non-profit clients.

Essential Responsibilities:
  • Communicate financial information to non-financial stakeholders in a polished, professional manner
  • Provide financial client service to internal colleagues by reviewing and analyzing program financial statements, preparing forecasts, and problem solving as other financial issues or questions arise
  • Review and help prepare financial component of proposals and reports to private foundation funders
  • Aid internal business teams with developing financial reporting strategies to meet funder client and project needs
  • Participate in the preparation of webinar trainings designed for internal staff and external clients on processes and best practices in nonprofit financial management
  • Work in tandem with teammates to identify financial literacy challenges and design tailored training sessions for
  • internal business teams
  • Work collaboratively with non-financial colleagues across multiple departments to improve systems/processes in order to improve accuracy of financial reporting for our clients
  • Maintain and update shared financial templates and team’s knowledge management resources

To be successful in this role you’ll need:
  • Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required in accounting, finance, or related field
  • Minimum of 2 years of financial and grant reporting experience in a nonprofit or client service setting
  • Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to write clear and concise correspondence to clients
  • Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to effectively manage multiple projects and competing deadlines
  • Ability to simplify and explain complex financial concepts
  • Strong problem-solving abilities and ability to think quickly on your feet
  • Knowledge of finance and accounting best practices
  • Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
  • Proficiency with Excel

Other Preferred Skills and Experience:
  • Prior experience managing private foundation grants
  • Financial management experience with fiscal sponsors

Our Core Competencies:
  • Ability to provide excellent service to clients, including being able to diagnose and anticipate difficult service challenges, provide proactive and effective client-centered solutions, pass along service lessons to teammates, and demonstrate a strong understanding of the client’s perspective.
  • The ability to effectively manage projects, proactively problem solve, and ensure quality control
  • high level of emotional intelligence and the ability to use that intelligence to appropriately adapt to stakeholders’ needs
  • The ability to effectively help communicate complex and nuanced messages to a variety of audiences, including adapting style, tone and content to meet various needs.
  • The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including supporting efforts that promote a safe and welcoming culture, providing timely and constructive feedback, and highlighting and sharing significant and new knowledge across the team
  • The ability to use available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team learning, including a willingness to request feedback and incorporate it to improve individual performance and to seek out and participate in career-relevant learning activities
  • The ability to take ownership and be creative and solutions-oriented when encountering challenges that don’t have obvious answers, including the ability to solve challenges independently

About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.

About Arabella’s Managed Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health and civic engagement.

Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Advancing DEI within our firm and in our work with partners is critical to our mission. To be effective partners to philanthropists, nonprofits, and communities impacted by philanthropic dollars, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging, and a nuanced understanding of the racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, and other disparities that undergird the issues we engage in and the interactions we have with one another. For us, equity means that our staff members, our clients, and the people they serve can experience the same level of success, no matter their starting place. We expect all our employees to share this commitment, and always seek ways to improve how well we live these values. Click here to learn more about DEI at Arabella and read our official DEI statement.

Working with US
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.

To encourage work/life balance, we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to seven federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday. We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.

How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.

Arabella Advisors is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to racial equity. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.

We encourage you to read (or listen to) our DEI statement prior to applying.  We make a particular effort to recruit people of color and members of marginalized groups to apply for open positions. Once you have applied, we welcome your feedback on how you have experienced our values around DEI in the recruitment process.

While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.

We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.

Note: The internal title for this position is Financial Analyst