Posted 2 months ago on Sept. 2, 2020

UX Researcher (Consumer Products)

Full-time in Santa Clara, CA

Company Description

At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:

Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.

Your Career

As the first UX researcher on the Consumer Products team, you will help establish the design research practice and evangelize design research in the org. You’ll be responsible for strategic foundational research, design research, and evaluative work. You’ll use design thinking methods, diary studies, in-depth interviews, contextual inquiries, and large and small-scale surveys. For this role, we're looking for individuals with strong qualitative and strategic research skills, with some experience in using quantitative research methods in order to size the qualitative insights, or gain further signal at scale.

Your Impact

• Collaborate closely with designers, product managers, and engineers to identify and prioritize opportunities where research can help improve a product decision or customer experience or to inform a strategic decision

• Design and conduct usability studies to iteratively improve the design

• Demonstrate a strong understanding of strengths and weaknesses of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during each product phase

• Lead all aspects of a research project including: Meet with stakeholders, scope projects, choose methodologies, create research plans, write discussion guides, lead interview sessions, synthesize findings into meaningful themes, and write actionable and impactful reports

• Communicate research findings to inform business decisions through rich storytelling via presentations, reports, workshops and any other novel, creative approach

Qualifications

• B.A./B.S. in Human Factors, HCI, Psychology, Computer Science, or Social Sciences, Anthropology, or equivalent

• 7+ years conducting research for both digital and physical products and experiences

• Track record of using foundational, formative, and evaluative research methods such as: usability studies (remote/in lab), interviews, ethnographic-style fieldwork, surveys, moderating group conversations, testing of early designs and prototypes, basic quantitative analyses, A/B testing

• Experience combining quantitative and quantitative research methodologies

• Experience balancing multiple varied projects at once while performing at a high level

• Ability to work independently with little direct supervision and take initiative to solve problems

• A strong grasp on how to clearly, concisely, and persuasively communicate research findings

• Experience leading research projects that have had lasting impact on product and design decisions.

Additional Information

The Team

Our team is responsible for the strategy, definition, and design execution of new products and services. We’re still in our startup phase, so you’ll have the opportunity to wear many hats, explore new skills, build culture and practice and have a front seat to our formative product decisions. You will work side-by-side with UX & industrial designers and the product management team, as well as software and hardware engineers.

The products you work on are new to Palo Alto Networks, so you are entrepreneurial and hands-on while helping to craft a vision and being a key member to execute on that vision.

We contribute to Palo Alto Networks being the fastest growing cybersecurity company in the world by understanding the evolution of cyberattacks and designing products to keep users safer and more secure.

We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge the status quo of cybersecurity. We can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, please visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.

Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at accommodations@paloaltonetworks.com.