Posted 3 months ago on April 22, 2020

Senior Principal Engineer (Consumer Products Network Security)

Full-time in Santa Clara, CA
Palo Alto Networks is a computer & network security company headquartered in the Santa Clara, CA area with 5001 to 10000 employees. Palo Alto Networks has a 4.2-star InHerSight Score, based on 1,186 ratings from 82 employees. 28 employees have left comments about their experience working for the company on InHerSight.

Our Mission

At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:

Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.

Your Career

We're seeking innovators - software engineers who seek to design new products, designing state-of-the-art products that do not exist today. These engineers love to code with a drive to build global products and bring new ideas to develop security disciplines to solve real-world problems. We are looking for leaders who take ownership of their areas of focus and who are driven to pursue problems at every level. Collaboration is at the heart of our culture and we need engineers who can communicate at a high level and work well with multi-functional teams towards achieving a common goal.

As a key member of our Consumer Group, you will be responsible for designing and developing security features. You will work with product management on user requirement, apply your knowledge to functional design, utilize your programming skills for efficient and robust implementation, and interact with quality assurance and field support teams throughout the entire software development cycle.

Your Impact

• Innovate, design, and develop the data plane of a new network appliance product, working on protocol decoding, layer-7 security and IoT security.  This position will own and be responsible for multiple components in the system and invent them from scratch.
  • Contribute in all phases of the product development cycle, from definition, design, through implementation and test
  • Design robust programming language to address new product features, with a high focus on quality and execution
  • Develop functional specifications, assess task requirements and scheduling, and assist in development, debug and support
  • Suggest and implement improvements to the development process
  • Clearly communicate goals and desired outcomes to internal project teams

Your Experience

• B.S. degree in Computer Science, similar technical discipline or equivalent practical experience, Graduate degree (MS or Ph.D.) in Computer Science or similar technical discipline is preferred
  • Proficient in C language and Linux development environment.
  • Proficient in TCP/IP internals.
  • Familiar with common data structures & algorithms.
  • Familiar with application protocols such as HTTP, TLS, DNS.
  • Experience with network security product development, e.g. firewall, deep packet inspection.
  • Experience with large-scale and/or high-performance software design and development is preferred
  • Verbal and written communication skills to work with multi-functional groups
  • Teammate who brings a can-do attitude to a dynamic working environment

Additional Preferred Experiences:

• Experience with application protocol decoding for security purposes.
  • Familiar with Linux kernel networking and Netlink IPC.
  • Familiar with network scanning technologies and tools such as nmap.
  • Familiar with open source or commercial IDS, IPS systems internals and implementations.
  • Knowledge and experience on Linux kernel module development and/or kernel netfilter subsystem.
  • Familiar with shell script, Python and/or Go programming

The Team

Our team designs and builds hardware devices, networking technologies, software, and services for delivering on customer needs and wants, innovating with opinion to anticipate customer requirements. Our designs are beautiful, customer appropriate, and functional.

The products you work on are new to Palo Alto Networks, so you are entrepreneurial and hands-on in your engineering approach while helping to craft a vision and being a key member to execute on that vision.

We contribute to Palo Alto Networks being the fastest growing cybersecurity company in the world by understanding the evolution of cyberattacks and designing products to keep users safer and more secure.

We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge the status quo of cybersecurity. We can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, please visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.

Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at accommodations@paloaltonetworks.com.

#LI-AC2