Posted a month ago on Sept. 18, 2020

Security Research Engineer (Web Security)

Full-time in Santa Clara, CA

Company Description

Our Mission

At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:

Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.

Your Career

The Web Security Research team is responsible for delivering high quality content to our products to prevent successful cyberattacks and protect our customers, with a special focus on Web security, DNS security, network security and privacy protection.

As a Security Research Engineer (Web Security), we are looking for a motivated, intelligent, hardworking and creative individual to join our team that develops, builds, and maintains various innovative detection systems and data infrastructures to protect customers against constantly evolving online threats and attacks.

Your Impact

• Track and research emerging online threats and innovate new ways to identify malicious indicators used by malicious websites and URLs

• Design and build scalable and extensible prevention/detection systems

• Leverage data-driven approaches, such as statistical analysis, machine learning, and other advanced techniques

• Convert research results and discoveries into real-impact innovative products

• Work across teams to deliver production-impact projects

Qualifications

Your Experience

• Creative thinker and team player. Have great passion and be highly self-motivated in data-driven security research

• Expertise in Web security and various online threats

• Experience with malware traffic analysis is a plus

• Experience with web crawling and malicious URL detection is a plus

• Strong engineering background and ability to build complex software systems

• Excellent programming skills in Python, JavaScript/Node.js, Go, Shell scripting

• Understanding of core network protocols (DNS, TCP/IP, HTTP/HTTPS, etc.)

• Familiarity with modern browser architecture is a plus (V8, rendering engine, etc.)

• Knowledge and experience with modern databases and Big Data tools, such as ELK stack, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, Kafka, RabbitMQ

• Knowledge and experience with Docker, Kubernetes and Google Cloud Platform

• Experience with developing REST APIs and microservices

• Experience with graph databases (e.g. Neo4j, JanusGraph), graph-based analysis, and data visualization tools like D3.js is a plus

• Experience with developing REST APIs and microservices

• Past experience on open source projects is a plus

• Familiarity with TensorFlow is a plus

• Knowledge and experience in basic machine learning techniques, workflows and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Trees, Logistic Regression, Deep Learning, and Boosting

• Familiarity with TensorFlow is a plus

• Excellent communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills

• BS/MS in Computer Science or related fields with security research experience

• PhD in Cyber Security or Privacy is preferred

Additional Information

The Team

Our engineering team is at the core of our products – connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. We are constantly innovating – challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. Our engineers don’t shy away from building products to solve problems no one has pursued before.

We define the industry, instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of a challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.

We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at accommodations@paloaltonetworks.com.

All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.