Posted a month ago on Sept. 28, 2020

Senior Software Engineer (Networking, Consumer Products)

Full-time in Santa Clara, CA

Company Description

Our Mission

At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:

Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.

Your Career

We're seeking innovators - software engineers who seek to design new products, designing state-of-the-art products that do not exist today. These engineers love to code with a drive to build global products and bring new ideas to develop security disciplines to solve real-world problems. We are looking for leaders who take ownership of their areas of focus and who are driven to pursue problems at every level. Collaboration is at the heart of our culture and we need engineers who can communicate at a high level and work well with multi-functional teams towards achieving a common goal.

As a key member of our Consumer Group, you will be responsible for designing and developing security features. You will work with product management on user requirement, apply your knowledge to functional design, utilize your programming skills for efficient and robust implementation, and interact with quality assurance and field support teams throughout the entire software development cycle.

Your Impact

• Innovate, design, and develop the data path of a new consumer oriented network appliance product, working on packet dispatching, steering, routing, acquisition, processing, policy match, stream engine, etc.

• Own and be responsible for the components closed to the operating system.

• Deliver the product’s core features in high quality and performance.

• Contribute in all phases of the product development cycle, from definition, design, through implementation, integration and test.

• Suggest and implement improvements to the development process

• Clearly communicate goals and desired outcomes to internal project teams

Your Experience

• B.S. degree in Computer Science, similar technical discipline or equivalent practical experience, Graduate degree (MS or Ph.D.) in Computer Science or similar technical discipline is preferred

• Proficient in C and familiar with the Linux development environment. Familiar with common data structure & algorithms.

• Experience with Linux networking stack, IPtables, NAT, bridging, interface and routing, policy based routing, Traffic Control and QoS, eBPF.

• Familiarity with concurrent  programming of data path.

• Verbal and written communication skills to work with multi-functional groups.

• Teammate who brings a can-do attitude to a dynamic working environment.

Additional Preferred Experiences:

• Experience with DHCP, DNS, UPnP protocols.

• Experience and knowledge on data path mechanisms like DPDK, PF_RING.

• Experience in embedded system development, Linux From Scratch.

The Team

Our team designs and builds hardware devices, networking technologies, software, and services for delivering on customer needs and wants, innovating with opinion to anticipate customer requirements. Our designs are beautiful, customer appropriate, and functional.

The products you work on are new to Palo Alto Networks, so you are entrepreneurial and hands-on in your engineering approach while helping to craft a vision and being a key member to execute on that vision.

We contribute to Palo Alto Networks being the fastest growing cybersecurity company in the world by understanding the evolution of cyberattacks and designing products to keep users safer and more secure.

We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge the status quo of cybersecurity. We can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together. To learn more about our dedication to inclusion and innovation, please visit our Life at Palo Alto Networks page and our diversity website.

Additionally, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at accommodations@paloaltonetworks.com.

Qualifications

Additional Information

All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.