Posted a month ago on Sept. 21, 2020

Principal Backend Engineer (Prisma Cloud – Customer Engineering)

Full-time in Santa Clara, CA

Company Description

Our Mission

At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission: protecting our digital way of life. It’s inspired by our vision: a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t simple statements. They won’t be easy either – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. As a company with a foundation in challenging the way things are done, we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the nature of cybersecurity as we are.

Our mission doesn’t happen by treading softly – no, it happens by defining an industry. It means building products that haven't been thought of. It means selling products with a solutions mindset. It means supporting the infrastructure of a company that moves at an incredible speed – intentionally – to stay ahead of the world’s next cyberthreat.

Your Career

The public cloud market has been growing at a rapid rate for the last few years and as more enterprises use public cloud, there is a critical need for creative engineers to help develop software to prevent cyberthreats within the cloud environment. In this role, you will develop solutions that help customers onboard and operationalize quickly, and ensure customers are maximizing their return on investment to achieve their business and security objectives.

You love to code and build exceptional products, and you bring new ideas in all facets of software development. You are someone who is highly technical, understands cloud technologies, and understands the complex world of cloud eco-systems and integrations. You love solving challenges for our customers in complex environments, and you will work closely with other engineers, product managers, UX designers, and Customer Success managers to implement best-in-class cloud security solutions suitable for large customers.

Your Impact

• Responsible for software development process including requirement analysis, design, development, troubleshooting, deployment, and support

• Write clean, testable, readable, scalable and maintainable Java code that scales and performs well for thousands of customers

• Teammate who brings a can-do attitude to a dynamic working environment

• Apply data-driven approach to collect and analyze customer adoption data. Design and implement solutions to drive customer growth and increase customer retention

• Optimize and modernize Prisma Cloud’s customer experience as a top-notch cloud security SaaS application

The Team

As the leader of the Public Cloud Security team, you will be responsible for building products that protect data, workloads, and infrastructure for some of the largest enterprise customers in the world. We help the customers in their transitional journey to the cloud by ensuring they have the best in class protection. The cloud market has been growing at a rapid rate for the last few years. As more and more enterprises use public cloud, there is an insatiable demand for securing workloads in the public cloud. With our recent acquisition of Prisma Public Cloud, formerly RedLock™ and Evident.io making Palo Alto Networks the reigning market leader.

We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at accommodations@paloaltonetworks.com.

Qualifications

Your Experience

• 5+ years of solid experience building SaaS applications in Java/J2EE

• Strong computer science fundamentals (e.g. understanding of lock-free data structures, bloom filters, minimal perfect hashing, consistent hashing, etc.)

• Experience designing/building scalable REST APIs and web services

• Experience with open-source frameworks/servers (Spring, Hibernate, Apache Tomcat)

• Experience with distributed computing (understand implications of CAP theorem, master election, brain split problem) and/or distributed DB/KVP (Cassandra, MongoDB, MemSQL, etc.)

• Hands-on experience with relational SQL (including window functions, recursion, etc.) and no-SQL technologies

• Experience with messaging middleware (Kafka, AWS SQS, AWS Kinesis, etc.)

• Experience with cloud infrastructure & services (AWS / Google Cloud / Azure )

• Experience with Agile development and Scrum/Kanban

• Experience with CI/CD and Jenkins/GitLab based deployment pipelines

• Experience with Docker and Kubernetes

• A focus on quality, with experience writing unit tests

• Verbal and written communication skills to work with multi-functional groups

• Experience with Python and other Scripting languages is a plus

• Experience with SDKs, SSO, and integration with other systems is a plus

• Love to play with data. Data science knowledge is a plus

• BS in CS/Computer Science or IS/Information Systems or equivalent required.

Additional Information

The Team

All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.