Cloud Software Development Engineer
Philips is a global health technology company where many of the best and brightest developers can openly collaborate to build a more connected and healthier society.
Are you passionate about the intersection of cloud computing, big data, analytics, the Internet-of-Things (IoT) and the advancement of medicine? Do you have the ability to push the boundaries of innovating unique cutting-edge solutions that bring together medicine and technology? Do you have a unique combination of deep technical knowledge, out-of-the-box thinking and strong interpersonal skills?
Working for a worldwide leader in health technology brings much personal fulfillment, as well as unique challenges. As part of our company, you will be responsible for…
- Make a huge impact in the world working side-by-side a highly motivated and skilled software development team focused on the creation of next generation medical information platforms, using cutting edge technologies for cloud, web, and mobile applications and data analytics.
- Key areas of responsibilities (KARS) for this role include:
- Develop applications and components within a highly motivated software development team focused on the creation of next generation medical information systems -and applications.
- Learn and contribute to solving problems with our highly experienced architects and software development team.
- Work in an environment that embodies and embraces new ideas and innovations through agile methodologies and innovation marathons.
- Push the innovation and technology boundaries to bring breakthrough solutions to complex clinical and business problems.
- Utilize software design patterns to enhance software quality by addressing fundamental challenges in large-scale system development. These challenges include communication of architectural knowledge among developers, accommodating new design paradigms or architectural styles, and avoiding development traps and pitfalls that are usually learned only by experience.
Specific skill requirements for this role include:
- Strong understanding of object oriented software development concepts and methodologies.
- Working knowledge of the following technologies Java, Spark, Spring Boot, RabbitMQ, MQTT and SQL.
- Solid understanding of Design and implementation of scalable, secure cloud architecture based on Amazon Web Services, leveraging AWS Data pipeline to process and move data using AWS services like EC2, S3, Hive, Elastic MapReduce, DynamoDB and PostgreSQL.
- Understanding of design patterns and practical experience in applying those patterns to address fundamental challenges in large scale, mission critical system development and influencing software engineering best practices within your team.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to produce high quality work independently and work well in a team.
- Ability to work effectively in ambiguous situations using critical thinking skills and be decisive while working cooperatively with others.
- Ability to, on the job, learn new technologies from AWS, Azure, and Google cloud and research new technologies, tools, data science and analytics techniques to invest in your skills and grow.
This role will initially be based in our Andover office. Philips will be relocating this office to a new site at Cambridge Crossing, a large development underway on the Cambridge-Somerville-Boston line. This is a very exciting time to be joining Philips, as this new location will be our largest North American R&D innovation center. The new office is set to open in early 2020.
Work from home and partial telecommuting options will be offered.
This role comes with competitive compensation, benefits and a generous holiday/vacation offering, but that’s not all. At Philips we offer you:
The chance to develop innovations that matter to people from the hospital to the home. This includes collaborating with skilled developers on solutions used by doctors and patients all over the world
A Collaborative Culture. Some of our teams are moving to the Agile methodology of software development where developers are expected to voice opinions, research and propose different technologies to solve complex problems. You will work in close-knit teams dependent upon each other for success.
Work and live healthy, don’t live to work. There is no limit to paid time off due to illness, issues with immediate family, doctor’s appointments, or personal matters that cannot be handled while you’re work. Also, our Workplace Innovation program allows non-traditional start and end times, as well as the ability to work from home or another Philips office with agreement from your manager.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways.
To find out more about what it’s like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog. Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process, or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions.
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it.
If you have any other questions regarding the recruitment process please refer to our FAQs. In case of technical difficulties with the website, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)