Staff Systems Engineer
In this role, you have the opportunity to:
This is an exciting technical leadership opportunity responsible for- implementing technical strategies, evaluating/ developing products, providing a superior level of technical support and collaborating closely with Engineers, Architects, and Testing, in the Ventilation business within Hospital Respiratory Care (HRC), for Class 2 medical devices.
You are responsible for:
- Incorporates essential operating mechanisms of systems engineering of medical device design and engineering principles and adheres to medical device regulations.
- Works with the program manager, external partners, functional and sub team leaders to design innovative system architecture consisting of mechanical, electrical and software components.
- Develops a working relationship with colleagues outside R&D to understand the market space and translates user/market requirements to system requirements.
- Works with cross-functional engineering teams to ensure proper allocation and ownership of the product requirements to the subsystem and component level while ensuring compliance with known standards.
- Leads the team to an understanding of the overall development plan, identifies technology roadmaps and gap assessments.
- Identifies technical risks and plans for early risk mitigation, continuously evaluating alternatives for system components.
- Assesses V&V testing to determine successful completion or assist with re-designs / re-tests / regressions as required.
- Works closely with project team leads within System Engineering to identify resource gaps and mentor junior engineers.
Behaviors: The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Leadership: The ability to make things happen by encouraging and channeling the contributions of others; recognizing and addressing important issues in a timely manner, and acting as an agent for change and continual improvement when required to achieve results.
- Accountability/Ownership: Work closely with team members and take ownership
- Influence: The demonstrated ability to gain acceptance and commitment from other to one’s own beliefs and ideas.
- Negotiating: The ability to construct and maintain a strong bargaining position to insure positive response and agreement: striving for win-win situations.
- Adaptability: Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly, apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment, and organize work assignments to meet established timetables.
- Data-driven decision-making: ability to move teams through vague and complex situations. Present complex ideas in a simple manner to resolve issues.
- Relentless focus on Quality and Transparency as an organizational value.
You are a part of:
The Staff Systems Engineer will be an integral part of a talented Engineering team that drives the systems elements of R&D development projects, including- systems requirement definition/management, architectural definition, control/software/interface product specification and simulation, build integration, system testing and qualification to meet product level requirements.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- Minimum of BS in relevant field including Systems, Computer, Biomedical, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering, or other related disciplines. MS or PhD desired.
- 10+ years of experience in safety critical complex electro-mechanical, embedded systems, solutions and services industry (Medical industry experience is desired - automotive, aerospace industries is preferred).
- Minimum of 5 years of experience developing respiratory care products is preferred.
- Good understanding of SW development processes and methodology, with NPD and Sustaining experience.
- Must have/be able to build out a broad interdisciplinary working knowledge of multiple engineering domains including: SoC platforms; connectivity and stability; web services for collecting device telemetry; data security and encryption for confidential patient information; data analysis and visualization; among other relevant platforms to determine the most appropriate architecture build for multiple generations of a new product.
- Experience developing FDA regulated products, familiarity with various standards such as IEC 60601, IEC 62304 and other standards.
- Experience in system level design, requirements and safety risk assessments at the system level, UFMEA, DFMEA, Hazard Analysis.
- Working knowledge of tools and processes for specifications development, traceability, version control and issue tracking such as Jira is nice to have.
- Experience debugging complex electro-mechanical software systems using JTAG, oscilloscope, logic analyzer, profilers.
- Experience in safety critical software development using languages such as C/C++/Python/Lua/Matlab/Simulink/Stateflow is a plus.
- Working knowledge of control systems, PID controls, sensors/actuators, signal processin
- Proven ability to communicate in both verbal and written form to technical and non-technical customers, stakeholders, and various levels of management.
- Solid understanding of System Verification and Validation test plan/protocols, executing V&V activities, generating and analyzing test reports.
· Proven leadership ability in leading engineers directly or by influence, multi-functional teams.
- Good communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required, as well as the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
In return, we offer you:
An opportunity to drive technically challenging/ engaging projects within our dynamic organization. As a market-driven company, we are used to listening to our customers & apply the same thinking to our employees. We offer a competitive salary, outstanding benefits and flexibility in a career with a positive and supportive atmosphere in which to develop your talents further.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways. Learn more by watching this video.
To find out more about what it’s like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog. Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process, or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions.
It is the policy of Philips to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to age, color, citizenship, disability or perceived disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital or domestic partner status, military or veteran status, national origin, pregnancy/childbirth, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws. Philips is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer Disability/Veteran.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it.
If you have any other questions regarding the recruitment process please refer to our FAQs. In case of technical difficulties with the website, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)