Senior Software Architect - Embedded
In this role, you have the opportunity to
Accelerate innovation and the creation of new healthcare products that matter. Do you believe that healthcare needs to be revolutionized and that a combination of connected consumer propositions and medical devices will drive that revolution? You will help define the future of healthcare by developing first-of-a-kind solutions that have a positive impact on people’s health. Within the Philips Innovation Services (PInS) US Innovation Hub, we are looking for an enthusiastic Software Architect who will work together with existing teams in shaping the software architecture for (embedded) applications for current and future Philips products, and who will guide the software development teams during all the development phases.
You are responsible for
- Defining architecture strategy, balancing long- and short-term views and balancing conflicting requirements (e.g. security vs. performance) in alignment with software leaders. Working with stakeholders to develop the architectural runway and spikes in support of new business features and capabilities
- Working with teams, customers, suppliers, software leaders, and product and solution management to define and design at high-level a solution/platform (incl. solution/platform intent, information models, and documentation requirements) and ensures fitness of purpose by focusing on consumer needs and technological competitiveness
- Delivering an optimal and consolidated architecture/design, leveraging technology and evaluating design alternatives including cost-benefit analysis
- Defining system/items/units (for example components) and their interfaces, creating well-defined building blocks, system options and scenarios. Allocating responsibilities to system/items/units, understands and supports solution deployment
- Leading improvement initiatives with regard to technological improvements and performing future-oriented studies with other specialists
- Leading the creative design process within our group and the department in which it resides
- Inspiring and supporting the senior software designers
You are a part of
Your team will work according to the Agile principles of Scrum and eXtreme Programming. You will work on highly innovative, first-of-a-kind propositions that are new within Philips, so an entrepreneurial mindset is an advantage. Together with your team, you will strive for continuous improvement of deliverables, your way of working, and yourself. The world doesn’t run from 9 to 5, so flexible working hours can be combined with a healthy work-life balance. Colleagues will challenge and coach you and you should willingly return the favor.
In this role, you will report directly into the PInS US Hub Site Manager based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and have a dotted-line reporting relationship to the Application Software group (part of the Electronics Department) based in Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- A Master’s Degree in Software Engineering, Informatics, or equivalent
- At minimum 10 years of relevant work experience in (networked) prototype or medical product development
- 3+ years as a junior software architect
- Strong technical skills in (embedded) software development
- Strong communication skills and the ability to define requirements based on customer needs
- Proven track record with development methodologies like Agile/Scrum
- Proven track record of object-oriented analysis and design
- Good knowledge of state of the art toolsets used in the (embedded) software development
- Ability to define work packages and manage remote development teams (in various time zones)
- Willing to travel on a regular basis to customer locations (25-50%)
- Experience in a regulated industry is preferred
In return, we offer you
We offer the opportunity to play a leading role in achieving Philips’ ambitions with digitally connected products and to truly contribute to the way our innovations improve the health and well-being of our customers. You will work in close cooperation with colleagues from the Electronics department as well as other Software departments across Philips, playing a key role in driving the transition process that will turn Philips into a Digital Systems company. We invite you to be part of a challenging, innovative environment with great opportunities for personal development.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways.
To find out more about what it’s like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog. Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process, or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions.
It is the policy of Philips to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without to age, color, citizenship, disability or perceived disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital or domestic partner status, military or veteran status, national origin, pregnancy/childbirth, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws. Philips is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer Disability/Veteran.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it.
If you have any other questions regarding the recruitment process please refer to our FAQs. In case of technical difficulties with the website, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)