IP&S Spring Externship - 2020
Intern - Intellectual Property & Standards (IP&S) - Cambridge, MA - Summer 2020
Are you a law student with a technical background and an interest in the world of Intellectual Property? Would you like to get a leg-up on your career in one of the world’s largest and best known industrial IP organizations? Then joining Philips Intellectual Property & Standards (IP&S) as an IP Intern is a unique opportunity to accelerate your career.
As an IP Intern, you are responsible for
- assisting Philips IP Counsels in managing patent portfolios
- supporting IP generation activities, including
- harvesting potential inventions via interactions with inventors
- processing and assisting IP counsels to assess incoming invention disclosures in view of prior art
- preparing responses to communications from the USPTO and other patent offices
- assisting IP counsels in review and oversight of application drafts outsourced to outside counsel
- legal research and monitoring
- monitoring and reporting on case law developments and other IP-related stories
- monitoring and reporting on patent activities by competition, including patent publication review
You are a part of
Joining Philips IP&S as an IP Intern, you will become part of an international community of IP professionals with wide-ranging technical backgrounds and IP experience, gained both inside and outside Philips. Comprising professionals of many different nationalities, Philips IP&S collaborates with Philips businesses to manage the IP portfolio and provide counsel on IP matters.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- A Bachelor’s degree and technical background in computer science, electrical engineering, or physics.
- Currently enrolled in law school and pursuing a JD
- Confidence, critical thinking and experience at multitasking.
- Strong professional drive.
- Excellent analytical and Intellectual capabilities.
- Excellent relationship building, influencing and negotiating abilities.
- Excellent communications skills to operate at all levels both internally and externally.
In return, we offer you
The Philips IP&S team offers you excellent opportunities for learning and professional networking in order to increase your knowledge of intellectual property matters and to continue your professional development.
Company relocation benefits will not be provided for this position. Candidates need to live within the territory or within commuting distance to Cambridge, MA.
US work authorization is a precondition of employment. The company will not consider candidates who require sponsorship for a work-authorized visa.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways.
To find out more about what it’s like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog. Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process, or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions.
It is the policy of Philips to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to age, color, citizenship, disability or perceived disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital or domestic partner status, military or veteran status, national origin, pregnancy/childbirth, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws. Philips is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer Disability/Veteran.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5 for assistance.
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it.
If you have any other questions regarding the recruitment process please refer to our FAQs. In case of technical difficulties with the website, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)