Lever logo

4.3 | San Francisco, CA | Internet | 51 to 200 Employees
Posted 3 months ago on Jan. 9, 2020

Software Engineer

Full-time in San Francisco, CA
See at-a-glance how well companies like Lever support the things that are important to you.
4.9
Female Representation in Leadership
4.9
4.8
4.8
4.7
Lever is an internet company headquartered in the San Francisco, CA area with 51 to 200 employees. Lever has a 4.3-star InHerSight Score, based on 258 ratings from 18 employees. 8 employees have left comments about their experience working for the company on InHerSight.

A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded seven years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Yelp, Cirque du Soleil, Shopify, and Eventbrite rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.

We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage and we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” and people-first culture.

THE OPPORTUNITY
In our growing engineering organization, you’ll be a driver for positive change to Lever’s engineering culture, processes, and technology. You will be a strong voice in product planning, drive the implementation and release of major features, and be a champion of best practices for writing well-tested, well-organized code.

You’ll become familiar with all parts of our stack—including our open source web framework, DerbyJS. You will exercise judgment in making tradeoffs between design and feasibility. You’ll engineer your features to be scalable and resilient in a complex, single-page application.

We believe that user-centric design ultimately leads to the best products, so we listen closely to our users, both external and internal. As an engineer on our close-knit, cross-functional team, you’ll be an active voice in shaping our product. Lever is constantly rolling out high-demand features and tackling ever greater challenges of scale.

THE TEAM
You’ll join a team where everyone—including you—is striving to constantly improve their knowledge of infrastructure, systems, and cares about minimizing downtime. We are an incredibly supportive team–we love to pitch in when problems arise and give great peer feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about lots of things--automation, friendly chat bots, creating a great hiring experience, and a great user experience--and we love sharing those passions with each other.

Read about what our team values and why here.

THE TECH STACK
Lever uses our own open source MVC framework called Derby that syncs all data via Operational Transformation (the algorithm behind Google Docs). OT is the way we handle concurrency conflicts for any piece of data that is edited at the same time. In addition to real-time sync, OT allows us to provide a smoother UI since we can render updates on the client instantly without waiting for our backend to respond, while still guaranteeing consistency.

Lever makes extensive use of AWS, Docker, Node, Mongo, ElasticSearch, and Redis within our infrastructure. We use tools like Hubot to streamline deployments and Grafana to see what’s going on under the hood. In addition to automating all the things, we love to version them too! Our systems are all created using Terraform and Chef, working together to ensure consistency at all costs.

Read more about The Lever Tech Stack from our Software Engineer, Eric Hwang.

Learn more about Lever’s interview process and read about what our engineering has been up to on our engineering team blog.