Grailed logo

4.2 | New York City, NY | Apparel & Fashion | 51 to 200 Employees
Posted a month ago on Sept. 24, 2020

Senior Backend Engineer

Full-time in New York City, NY
See at-a-glance how well companies like Grailed support the things that are important to you.
4.9
4.6
4.3

Grailed is an apparel & fashion company headquartered in the New York City, NY area with 51 to 200 employees. Grailed has a 4.2-star InHerSight Score, based on 221 ratings from 14 employees. Employees have left 2 comments about their experiences working for the company on InHerSight.

Grailed and Heroine are curated e-commerce marketplaces for men’s and women’s luxury fashion. Our community driven marketplaces are built for enthusiasts by enthusiasts, and our goal is to provide an interactive and educational meeting ground where people interested in fashion can buy and sell their unique pieces.

Our team focuses on providing an environment that encourages learning and growth, giving you the opportunity to lead your own projects and take pride in the work you do. We’re constantly looking for chances to create a more inclusive, fun, collaborative, and effective work environment.

We’re looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to solve complex problems gracefully, grow scalable systems, and help to shape our technical vision. We are solving a wide range of technical challenges as we power the world’s largest marketplace for men and women’s fashion.

This is an opportunity to join a team of smart, thoughtful engineers with a clean, robust tech stack. You’ll get to use some skills you already know, learn new ones, and help take the team to the next level.

Who you are

• You have 4+ years of engineering experience.
  • You have experience building, maintaining, or architecting one or more production web applications.
  • You have knowledge of and opinions on API design, database design, naming, and simplifying complex services.
  • You have an understanding of operational concerns such as deployment, migrations, configuration, and provisioning.
  • Preferably, you have professional experience with the technologies with which we work (Rails, Next.js, React, Flow, Postgres, Heroku).

Responsibilities

As an Senior Backend Engineer, you will do things like:

• Work closely with product managers, designers, and other engineers to build features and improvements
  • Extend our API and back-end systems
  • Interface directly with our PostgreSQL cluster
  • Add to and improve our testing environment
  • Figure out how to handle large traffic surges, especially during high-profile influencer campaigns. E.g., Lil'Yachty has over 7 million followers on Instagram alone and directed a large percentage of them to us during his influencer sale.
  • Solve challenges in architecture, security, anti-fraud, performance, scalability, personalization, optimization, payments and more
  • Help ensure our infrastructure is online and stable
  • QA and code review other engineers work
  • Keep up with the latest development trends in server-side technologies
  • Mentor and sponsor other engineers in your areas of expertise

More about us

Grailed launched in 2014 and has become one of the premier online marketplaces to find great men's clothing. Our sister site, Heroine, launched in 2017 and is quickly following suit.

We offer stock options, health insurance with 100% premium covered, a 401(k) plan, great vacation, and commuter benefits. We have a healthy work-life balance and a fantastic working environment. Grailed is located in SoHo and walking distance from N/Q/R, 4/6, A/C/E, and B/D/F/M trains. We are currently planning on working remotely until March 2021.

Grailed is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.