Expel, Inc logo

4.7 | Herndon, VA | Computer & Network Security | 201 to 500 Employees
Posted 4 days ago on Sept. 17, 2020

software test engineer

Full-time in Interdimensional Headquarters-Herndon, VA
See at-a-glance how well companies like Expel, Inc support the things that are important to you.
4.9

Expel, Inc is a computer & network security company headquartered in the Herndon, VA area with 201 to 500 employees. Expel, Inc has a 4.7-star InHerSight Score, based on 209 ratings from 15 employees. 8 employees have left comments about their experience working for the company on InHerSight.

You’ve wrapped your arms around a programming language or two, object oriented programming in general. You enjoy creating new things, but sometimes, your analytical nature gets the better of you and it’s hard to get to that point where you feel comfortable saying, “it's done”. When you find yourself stuck, do you just keep writing tests, teasing out every possible edge case just because? Or maybe you’re new to development and are just passionate about honing a testing mentality to round out your skills progression?

If you're motivated by a need for things to be correct, and relish an attention to detail that makes you a kind of tough pill to swallow, we'd love to hear from you! We've built a tool that is attempting to straddle the line between very different user bases. We have also adopted a broad view of quality that puts the onus on our whole team to deliver a valuable product. We believe that shifting left doesn't negate the need for a tester, but instead requires testers to plug into every part of the feature development process.

You would help our developers build tests that provide maximum coverage with minimum excess. While they're focused on building the next awesome feature, we need you to show them the ways it could break, so they can flesh out their design. And if you are interested in finding ways to tease out these failures earlier in the planning stages, well we would love your help with that too!

What Expel Can Do For You

• Get exposure to the information security space and security products
  • Get experience with cloud-based infrastructure, continuous integration, and Docker
  • Work in a small, highly transparent startup environment
  • Work with an experienced, highly capable team that learns from each other

What You Can Do For Expel

• Extend and maintain our automated test framework
  • Write and review unit tests to support continuous delivery and improve test coverage and the balance of our automated tests
  • Embed with development teams to help them mature their automated tests
  • Help voice support for a test focused culture
  • Analyze requirements and UX mocks for inconsistencies.
  • Identify and execute on the need to test ad hoc changes
  • Perform manual and exploratory tests with the goal of automation
  • Adapt to changes of direction because, hey, startup life
  • Poke fun at our leadership team in creative ways

What You Should Bring With You

• Proficient in at least one coding language preferably JavaScript
  • Experience with Ember
  • Experience with TestCafe
  • Skilled in API testing
  • Understanding of object-oriented design principles
  • Experience with different testing strategies
  • A desire and ability to constantly learn and improve yourself and your work products
  • The ability to communicate and work effectively with others
  • Experience with JIRA or another ticketing system.
  • A college degree and meaningful experience or credible panache

Additional notes

At Expel, our employee benefits reflect our commitment to our crew. Unlimited PTO, equity for everyone, work location flexibility, up to 24 weeks of parental leave, and excellent health benefits are some of the ways we care for our Expletives.

We're looking to hire in someone who can work in our Herndon, VA office, when it's safe to do so.

We’re only hiring those authorized to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.

We're an Equal Opportunity Employer: You'll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.

We’ll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let us know if you need accommodation of any kind.