We need someone that can help Arabella improve the managed nonprofit organizations with its tax planning and overall tax strategies that comply with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations and promote the financial well-being of our clients. The Senior Tax Accountant will be responsible for tax planning and research, complex tax preparations and teaching ongoing nonprofit technical guidance to less experienced staff. In addition, this resource should be able to work with our legal and compliance teams to help resolve client tax matters.
- Project manage the annual Form 990, 990T’s, 1120-POL, and 1099 filings on behalf of the Managed Nonprofits “MNPOs”
- Assisting with day-to-day research and strategic tax planning for 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations and recommend strategies that align with business goals
- Research and work to implement solutions for potential tax-related penalties or other correspondences from the IRS
- Perform annual tax planning and analysis to consider unrelated business income tax positions to the managed nonprofits
- Manage annual schedule for tax-facing reporting deadlines and filings
- Coordinate with internal legal and compliance team on various state and local filings and registrations
- Coordinate tax filings and reports with external auditors, tax professionals and other consultants
- Review disbursements to flag for potential tax-related issues
- Provide support and guidance in IRS tax audits
- Review and approve accounting transactions and journal entries prepared by the accounting associates and staff accountants
- Support review of processes to drive efficiency and quality control
- Manage parts of or whole team objectives
- Analyze, synthesize, and communicate information to various audiences
- Work closely with client services team to ensure client service standards are met
To Be Successful in This Role, You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Four or more years of relevant professional experience maintaining books with nonprofit organizations
- Proficiency with tax accounting and 990 preparations
- Proficiency with accounting software, report design, and Excel
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines for multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex financial matters to non-financial personnel
- Ability to work within multi-functional teams
Other Highly Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience in philanthropy, nonprofit management or consulting
- Certified Public Accountancy (CPA)
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics
- Experience with advocacy rules and regulations
- Experience supervising staff
Our Core Competencies:
- The ability to provide excellent service, including being able to address complex service matters, implement and communicate service changes to everyone involved, and to coach teammates on how to apply the firm’s service standards
- The ability to manage large-scale and cross-firm projects, including delegating and managing all resources, identifying and implementing improved processes, monitoring consistency across project teams, and providing direction and support to teammates
- The ability to facilitate and negotiate among stakeholders with conflicting needs and to generate consensus among decision makers
- The ability to help effectively communicate difficult messages; to adapt style, tone, and content to meet various needs; and to coach teammates on crafting content.
- The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including encouraging and facilitating effective compromise, drawing on the capabilities of all team members, and leading team-level knowledge sharing
- The ability to use available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team and project-level learning, including coaching others
- The ability to solve complex challenges by identifying innovative solutions and facilitating coordination with others
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organization’s Finance Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4).These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused-on conservation, global health and civic engagement.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance, we offer flexible work options. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to seven federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.