Senior Manager Signal & Image Processing
Senior Manager Signal & Image Processing
We are looking for an experienced technical leader to direct the Signal and Image Processing engineering team in the innovation, development, and sustaining efforts for our intravascular imaging and functional measurement consoles. The successful candidate will be an accomplished leader who is able to blend an energizing leadership style with technical subject matter expertise and understanding. Leading a diverse global team of highly capable Signal and Image Processing engineers, the candidate must be able to motivate and inspire their team to overcome obstacles and deliver complex signal and imaging processing pipelines and algorithms on-schedule and within budget. This role will also require experience interfacing with leadership counterparts in the software, systems, and disposables engineering functions to ensure success of multi-disciplinary projects. This leader will have to earn the trust of their subordinates, superiors, and peers while also creating a results-oriented culture built on transparency and accountability. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with a track record of consistently leading teams to deliver high quality results and solve problems.
- Lead, recruit, develop, and retain a world class Signal and Image Processing engineering team
- Lead a multisite global team representing a core competency for Philips Image Guided Therapy Devices
- Coach direct reports and other engineers and assign them appropriate development opportunities
- Promote and participate in a knowledge sharing environment
- Develop and foster employee motivation and morale through leadership, positive working relationships, growth opportunities, rewards, and recognition
- Instill accountability by setting expectations, putting in place good team management disciplines and providing direct feedback
- Manage staffing levels to match budgets and meet the approved new product development roadmap needs, including full-time and temporary employees
- Ensure the team is properly trained on technical and management skills and on applicable regulations, SOPs, WIs necessary to perform at a high level
- Promote, facilitate, and participate in intellectual property generation by the team
- Act to ensure that Signal and Image Processing development timelines, budgets, and quality and performance requirements are routinely met
- Provide high level technical leadership in the design, development, verification and documentation of signal and image processing pipelines
- Contribute to architecture and technical design discussions, design reviews and technical design/specifications in collaboration with the project team
- Establish and maintain Signal and Image Processing development processes in accordance with medical device regulations and company procedures. Investigate opportunities to improve development methodologies and level of rigor to be applied across multiple projects
- Support team members in identifying and removing roadblocks
- Champion Signal and Image Processing development methodologies and tools required to develop products in support of overall business objectives
- Develop a culture that promotes prototyping, reviewing and testing early and often.
- Develop or facilitate engineering development of rapid prototypes to evaluate technical feasibility and elaborate functional requirements
- Oversee collaboration with and technical support to Hardware, Software, Systems Engineering, Disposables R&D, Manufacturing, Field Service, Sales, Marketing and Clinical (training and documentation support for multiple product lines)
- Provide input on strategic planning and administrative matters
- Participate in the development of the multiyear strategic plan and new product development roadmap
- Develop and administer the annual Signal and Image Processing engineering budget
- Allocate Signal and Image Processing resources to approved projects
- Contribute to, and at times serve as project manager or technical lead for, critical Signal and Image Processing projects to ensure development objectives and timelines are met. Directly manage special engineering projects (e.g. cost reduction, quality or productivity improvement)
- MS or PhD in in physics, biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, or a related field. Project Management training a strong plus
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in various engineering positions and roles (technical feasibility, design, and management, signal and/or image processing) including project and/or functional leadership experience
- Strong Engineering Management experience, including planning and leading teams of experienced and specialized engineers
- Experience with complex systems encompassing the design of signal and/or imaging pipelines (biological signals, communications, imaging) and their implementation
- Medical device Research and Development experience is a must
- Capability to work in a fast paced, regulated environment, with strict adherence to a quality system
- Familiar with design techniques and trade-offs on improving performance, cost and manufacturability
- Experience supporting and interacting with clinicians and clinical staff team members to define their needs and devise innovative technical solutions
- Demonstrated skill in solving problems—technical and interpersonal
- Adaptability in the face of ambiguous and evolving situations
- Ability to communicate and influence using concise, structured writing
- Track record of meeting deadlines and delivering results
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Good mix of strategic and execution capabilities
Additional desirable qualifications
- Familiarity with cardiovascular biology, physiology, and direct exposure to associated medical procedures, workspaces, tools, and terminology.
- Experience with biological signals or intravascular imaging system R&D
- Ultrasound (external or intravascular) transducer modeling and fabrication experience
- Medical imaging or medical device industry experience
- Experience with Matlab, Python, and/or C/C++
- Advanced technical knowledge and interest in one or more of these areas—beamforming, advanced filtering, video processing, color theory, data mining, artificial intelligence, computer vision, computational photography, computer graphics, visualization, pipeline development, mobile computing, UI programming, software tool development, etc.
Location: San Diego, CA, USA or Best, Netherlands
In return, we offer you
We offer you the opportunity to grow within the organization and Philips – working cross functionally with R & D, on various projects and initiatives to drive our products to our customers and be a part of saving people’s lives every day.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways.
To find out more about what it’s like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog. Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process, or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions.
It is the policy of Philips to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy/childbirth, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or perceived disability, genetic information, citizenship, veteran or military status or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, marital or domestic partner status, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
Equal Employment and Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veteran
If you forgot your password, you can click the Forgot Password button on the Sign In screen to reset it.
If you have any other questions regarding the recruitment process please refer to our FAQs. In case of technical difficulties with the website, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Note: To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only technical issues will be monitored through the above inbox. Please do not submit resumes or applications to this email, as they will not be reviewed. Only applications received through the online application process will be considered.)